Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Decision

When I found out I was pregnant, I always just assumed I would breastfeed. I would say, when asked if I was going to breastfeed, "Well, I am going to try". Key word here is 'try'. I started reading up and found out that breastfeeding is a tad more taboo in this country still, more so than it should be. I quickly learned that if I planned to have any luck with BF'ing, I would need to start replying to this question by saying "YES, I AM going to breastfeed".

Some say it is a mind set. Most of the time, as a woman, your body knows what do to and will be able to adequately provide for your baby. But you have to have the right mind set, in my opinion. If you think you will try, versus, you will, then you might only try and not do. -follow me here?!

When my son was born, and the nurse handed him to me to, well... nurse, he did just that. I like to believe that I had a hand in that going so smoothly by assuming he would just know what to do. And he did. And I didn't...but I believed in myself! And here I am now, a 24/7 milking parlor!

So, do or do you breastfeed? And how did you approach it?

1 comment:

  1. Saw your website on the Bornfree contest. When I was pregnant, I always told those that asked I was going to "try" to breastfeed. I think you are right though. Deep down I knew I was going to breastfeed. Our baby boy just turned 6 months, and I work full time, and I am still breastfeeding. I feel like it has been one of the best decisions even if it isn't always the easiest, especially with being back at work.

    ReplyDelete

Has this happened to you? Do you have a question? Do you have advice? SHARE!